- 500g/1lb Live fresh mussels in their shells
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 125ml/half a cup White Wine
- 50ml/quarter of a cup Double Cream
- 1 tbsp Fresh cilantro (coriander) or parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Walkerswood Solomon Gundy (a little goes a long way!)
Clean and prepare mussels, scrubbing well to remove the 'beards and any barnacles and rinsing in several changes of water. Discard any that do not close when sharply tapped.
Cook the onion and garlic slowly in the oil until transparent.
Add the mussels and white wine, cover and cook until the shells have opened, tossing frequently.
Carefully strain off the liquid (there may be grit in the bottom) into another pan and add the cream, coriander and Solomon Gundy.
Put the mussels in a serving dish, discarding any that have not opened and pour the sauce over the mussels. Serve immediately, with crusty bread.
Preparation and cooking time: 35 minutes.